What’s great about senior living these days is that there are choices. And for many, the number one choice is to live independently at home. With that said, it’s important as we grow older to make sure our living environments are safe to prevent falls and other accidents.
To help ensure your home is safe, I’ve put together the following checklist:
Home Safety Checklist
General Home Safety
- Ask a loved one check in with you daily to ensure you are safe at home.
- Avoid loose carpeting, rugs or bath mats that do not have non-slip backing.
- Keep traffic areas free of furniture, electrical cords, and other items.
- Declutter hallways and floors.
- Make sure you have bright lighting throughout your home.
- Place telephones on tables that can be reached from the ﬂoor.
- Securely attach handrails at the proper height on stairways.
- Place items where you can reach them without using a stool.
- Add rubber tips to walkers and canes, if you use them.
- Install smoke alarms on every floor and outside bedrooms, and check batteries bi-annually.
- Add yourself to the national “do not call list” to reduce potential issues.
- Install a carbon monoxide detector with an alarm.
- Install grab bars near the tub, shower and toilet.
- Place non-slip mats in the tub and shower.
- Place non-skid mats outside the shower.
- Install a tub or shower seat.
- Use door locks that can be opened from both sides.
- Leave a light on in your bathroom at night.
- To prevent scalds, turn water heater to 120 degrees Fahrenheit or below.
- Utilize a personal emergency alarm that is waterproof.
- Using a large black marker, date all items in the refrigerator with expiration date. Check weekly.
- Make a written daily checklist for medications utilizing a pill case divided by day.
- Be sure to have a bedside table with a sturdy lamp.
- Have a sturdy chair to sit on while dressing.
Following these suggestions will help keep you safe and living independently in your own home. When you join Judson at Home, we conduct an annual assessment of the safety of your home environment. Learn more about Judson at Home membership